Barlows of Belvoir strives to understand its environmental impacts and looks to minimise these as much as practicable. This is our policy on such matters:
- Consumption, use and disposal of materials
We follow the Reduce (consumption), Reuse, Recycle hierarchy. In particular:
- Barlows of Belvoir (re)uses scrap paper where appropriate.
- Where batteries are required, they are always sourced as rechargeable batteries.
- Our office supplies’ procurement is always aimed at sourcing products with better environmental credentials.
- Barlows of Belvoir commits to purchase all new paper from 100% recycled, UK manufactured sources.
- We set our margins on paper to a moderate setting to reduce the total amount of paper sheets printed on; and we print double-sided as default.
- When larger purchases are required, such as stainless steel kitchen equipment, Barlows of Belvoir buys either pre-used items or new items that have good environmental credentials.
- The main waste output from the office is paper and cardboard; 100% of this waste is recycled (when it cannot be reused).
- We are looking to use recycled paper product wrap in our packing for mail order shipments.
- Our stock boxes come from a local company Greenwood Stock Boxes.
- We have converted to using paper adhesive tape for sealing boxes.
- Invoices are sent vie email where possible.
- Our glass jars are sourced from within in the UK and are recyclable.
- Out lids sourced in the UK and made in France, they are also recyclable.
- Our printed labels are sourced in the UK.
The company uses three small buildings, located on the Barlows Lodge Farm. These use only a small amount of energy to run due to their compact size. Each office:
- Uses only florescent and LED light tubes and only when required.
- Has no air conditioning.
Travel is a main component of the direct carbon footprint of Barlows of Belvoir. As much of our work is connecting with rural businesses, we do use 4×4 vehicles. Employees’ vehicles are privately owned. To lower or offset the carbon footprint, we:
- Encourage staff to buy used vehicles rather than new vehicles and to consider the CO2 emissions value when deciding on future vehicles.
- Buy carbon offsets for our annual mileage via The Carbon Neutral Company.
Sustainability means living our lives today in a way that won’t compromise future generations. It considers economic, social and environmental impacts. Please see our Corporate Social Responsibility policy for further information in this area.