Old Dalby Dumpsy Deary
Old Dalby lies to the west of Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire, close to the Nottinghamshire border. The original settlement has Celtic origins but was under Danelaw during the ninth century when it acquired the name Wold Dalby, possibly after migrants arrived from that area of Denmark. The village is very close to the Roman Fosse Way, now the A46, and its early inhabitants are likely to have traded with travellers on this route, enriching lives on both sides.
In the Middle Ages the Order of the Knights Hospitaller of Saint John of Jerusalem had a preceptory in Old Dalby and held the manor. The Order traces its existence back to a hospice founded in Jerusalem in the eleventh century by merchants from Amalfi, to assist Christian travellers in the Holy Land. But the lands of the Dalby preceptory passed to the Crown in 1540 with the seizure of the Hospitallers' assets, under Henry VIII.
Plums and damsons have a liking for the sheltered hillsides and the rolling wolds around Old Dalby. The wolds are sometimes referred to as dumpsy hills, so we have just added a term of endearment as our Dumpsy Deary jam comes with a rich rolling flavour and all the warmth of a close friend.